I have lived in Tofino for close to 30 years, have been married for 22 and I’m in the mist of raising 4 children. I have owned my own contracting company and have worked for others as well. I have been involved with the Tofino Volunteer Fire Dept and now an active member of West Coast Search Rescue. I enjoy the outdoors and what it has to offer and find great joy in sharing what I do with family and friends.
When I moved here there were only 700 people in town and it grew to about 2000 in the summer months, now? I don’t need to tell you we all know what summer is like. Tofino exists year around, I have great fears that we are already losing the small town appeal that attracted us here, we need to start looking at getting “our own” house in order, it seems to me that money is flowing out of the district well beyond necessity and the core of the municipality is slowly rotting away, we need to look within the District for people who are willing to step up and get involved. Our infrastructure is not getting the maintenance it requires amongst other things as well, sirens? parking? Like all people it’s easy to point the finger and complain, but in the end my opinion is that we must have a council and mayor who will get directly involved with the community, welcome input, encourage public involvement from all in order that we can be part of the solution and not part of the problem.
I support local business and what they have to offer tourist and locals alike, I will be their voice at the government level for a fair and common sense approach to their business and making it more viable.
I’m sure you know or are aware that young families are leaving here because of lack of services. I’m tired of hearing the term “more” the government wants “more” and we are expected to give “more”
There are monies available to help this District with the issues we face and these monies need to spend on those issues. Fiscal responsibility is an absolute must, the money that council spends regardless of where it came from needs to be accounted for and spent like it belongs to someone else...because it does. It seems that common sense doesn’t play a role as it should. A friend of mine has taught me a phrase “pride in place” if mayor, council, staff and locals took this to heart Tofino would once again be a place people come to and marvel at the jewel we call home.
Vote for people who you feel care about this town not only where we came from but where we are headed, we all are in this together and the people you choose to lead are going to paint a picture of Tofino not only on a local level but on the national stage.
Garth Cameron
Garth Cameron
No comments:
Post a Comment